Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas & renewed excitement

Gaby is teething. My little poppet is only 2 months old, but she is starting. The 26-27th December were quite possibly my 2 hardest days as a Mum, so far. All Gaby did was cry - and she was really inconsolable. I think I cried almost as much as Gaby did. I felt so useless & like a bad Mum, because I couldn't get her to settle.

It's funny - I *know* that an inconsolable, upset, grizzly baby, is no reflection of my parenting skills, that crying is a baby's way of communicating - and it is something all baby's do.... BUT when it is happening, I automatically think "I'm the worst mother in the world, Gaby must hate me, what am I doing wrong". The time you need to remember that crying isn't anyone's fault - and that it isn't a 'bad' thing, is the time that all of those mantra's fly out the window.

My life is now spent cleaning up drool, and administering teething powder... not to mention trying out different ways to sooth my poor baby's gums..... While it's a bit of a stressful time, I'm also in a way, very excited about Gaby teething - it means she's growing up, that she's developing as she should be - meaning that I am doing a good job, that I have done SOMETHING right along the way!

... She is getting so beautiful, each day I fall more and more in love with her, and I cannot imagine my life without her. I never knew that I could love someone as much as I love her, and I really would do anything to protect her. All those love songs seem to make more sense now, and I inevitably tear up, when I hear certain songs - such as 'Amazed' by Lonestar, and 'Don't Wanna Miss A Thing' by Aerosmith........

The 'In The Womb' series was on TV last week, and I recorded it - I was in tears almost the whole way through the documentry, because it is so amazing. Amazing to think that Gaby started out as a microscopic cell... amazing to think that Gaby was once 3cm long... amazing to think that Gaby was once not-viable outside the womb..... Amazing to think that Gaby went from being invisible - to weighing 8lb4oz & measuring 51cm at birth.......... What is most amazing, is that it all happened by itself, no one MADE it happen.... right from the second of conception, the egg & sperm that would become the Zygote... the Zygote that would become the Embryo... the Embryo that would become the Fetus......... knew what to do... Without any control from me

No comments: