Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Placental bond

Yesterday we buried mine & Gaby's placenta, and planted a gorgeous rose bush over top of it.

Everyone seems to say "ew yuck" when I mention the placenta, but I think it is one of the most beautiful things ever!

Looking at it yesterday, it overwhelmed me to think that i
t was that organ, which kept my baby girl alive & safe, during her time in my womb. Such a 'boring' looking thing, played such a miraculous role, in the growth & arrival of my baby girl. To some I guess the placenta represents "a gross bloody looking organ, which gets disposed of quick smart after birth" - but to me, the placenta represents SO much more than that.

It represents a life long bond to my baby girl, it is what
gave Gaby life - and in a way, it is what gave me a second chance at life. I gave Gaby everything she needed to stay alive, through the placenta & the umbilical cord. It was the umbilical that connected Gaby to me, in every sense of the world.

I feel the same way when I look at her belly button. That cute little nub of skin represents where she once was connected to me - and the point where she became her own person, a seperate entity to me.

Burying the placenta was something I had to do - it was my way of carrying on the circle of life, and of giving Gaby root's. She can always come back here - this place will ALWAYS be a part of her, and in the same way, this place will ALWAYS be a part of me. The Rose is symbolic of
Gaby & me both growing - physically, emotionally, mentally, more importantly - SPIRITUALLY. The placenta will give the rose extra nutrients, to help it thrive - in precisely the same way it gave GABY all the nutrients & life blood that she needed to grow & survive!

Burying the placenta has in a way, given me an even stronger feeling of love for Gaby... It has reminded me again that we were once one person.... and that we're ALWAYS going to have a strong bond, for as long as we both shall live - and beyond.



No comments: